Friday, March 05, 2010

Jakers

 
Jake went on to doggy heaven yesterday. His back legs and probably hips were run over by the garbage truck right after I got to the office. Gigi said the garbage man came and knocked on the door and said they had backed over him. I hauled it to the house and Ronny my neighbor helped me load him in my truck. I took him to Stewart Animal Clinic in Warrior. They first tried to stabilize Jake from being in shock. That was going well and they were planning to take X-rays after he was stable enough. Suddenly, Jake started getting fidgety and biting at my hand a little. I told the vet and they came in and checked him. His heart had slowed rapidly and in less than a minute, he quit breathing on his own. A shot of adrenaline got his heart to beat again for a minute or so but he couldn't keep it going. Most likely, a blood clot broke loose and got in Jake's heart. I was glad I got to sit with him for his last hour or so and pet him and tell him he was a "good boy." Even Dr. Stewart was crying when Jake finally passed on.

JT took the news VERY hard. He continued into the night crying and saying "I'm never gonna have Jake anymore." After I explained about doggy heaven, he cried because Jake wasn't gonna come back down. It was heartbreaking. He has started mentioning getting a new big white dog and naming it "'nother Jake."

We'll miss the big guy.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home